December 11: Small pleasures: What small pleasures did you discover this year?
1) New and different flowers, delivered for me to arrange
2) James Bond movies on an endless loop
3) Stacks of New Yorkers, saved to be read on airplanes
4) Remembering to peel the label with my address on it off the spent New Yorkers, stripped of their cartoons, that I leave in airplane seatback pockets
5) Feu de Bois candles from Diptyque
6) Rediscovering Virginia Woolf
7) The cool, earthy smell of old churches in summertime
8) The unexpected joy of having someone waiting for you at the end of a jet bridge
9) Crossing the finish line of a race in the company of one’s nearest and dearest
10) Buying a tin of Danish butter cookies, and eating only the pretzel-shaped ones
11) Lukewarm pasta, rinsed, still in the strainer and sitting in the sink — eaten with my hands
12) Misheard song lyrics
13) Fat dogs, really really fat ones.
14) Absurd, off-hour slivers of Hong Kong, through fresh and tired eyes
15) Discovering/remembering that New York goes on